Sunday 22 April 2018

Amplifier(s)

So, let's go up in the audio chain.
What powers the speakers? The amplifier, of course.

Let me point out one thing: I love amplifiers! They are, IMO, a nice way to add "your taste" to the system.

I'll elaborate better: once you're set with loudspeaker preference (electrostatic, horn-loaded, fullrange, multiway ecc) and you can trust your source (wether analog or digital), then you can explore the beautiful world of amplifier topologies!

I've tried lot of amplifiers: class D, chip amps, tube amps...now I'm finishing a pair of class A transistors: one standard and one current source topology.

So, what have I learnt with my speakers and my sources?

Tubes: I love tube Amps...full lush sound, even the smallest tube power can give huge sound with the right speakers and room. I build a SE triode with ecl86 and the experience was really rewarding: good tone, good imaging and zero listening fatigue





Only 1,5 watt, but good watt...I tried also smaller power, I built a Darling amp...0,75 watt








So cute...


Class D: I've tried only small powered ones, 2024 based (T amps) (Fenice...)


and TPA3122 (battery power) (I'll write about the other 2 boxes soon...)





The first is a masterpiece, the latter is a nice, simple amplifier, but it hasn't the "magic" of 2024 chip. I would rate the 2024 as a very good tube amp, just a bit more fatiguing.

Chip amps: I bought a lm3886 chip amp. It is a real bargain, with 60 watts there is power to spare, and the tone is nice. I would recommend it when power is needed and if you have woofers to control.
I've enjoyed this amp better with multi-way big speakers rather than my fullranges